Tuesday, May 12, 2009

This Album Has Possessed Me.


This album has hit me like a bomb! Chicxulub from Australia's Ahked is awesome. This album has everything: Great Stoner sound with a Kyuss feel, some Psychedelics and strange Atmospheres. Ahkmed recently signs to Elektrohasch Records.
Go judge for yourself.

A special thanx and credits to Robixxx!

Melbourne, Australia's Ahkmed is really on to something. Their self-described sound is "post-stoner," and that's an apt description, as the band fuses the more traditional psych and fuzz utilized so often by the best of the stoner bunch with the more atmospheric instrumental approach of bands such as Pelican and the more recent Mogwai albums. Cool concept - it's like somebody put chocolate in my peanut butter, and peanut butter in my chocolate, and I'm loving it. What's even cooler is that this trio isn't afraid to throw a little kraut into the mix as well, and while that might sound really disgusting if we were still talking about peanut butter and chocolate, musically it works well.* I hear echoes of Neu!, Amon Duul II, and Tangerine Dream in some of these sprawling tracks. Oh, and for the record, the last track has vocals; the other three do not. These guys have been around since 1998, and it's a shame that they haven't gathered more notoriety, because this is pretty intriguing stuff, and they actually manage to take modern heavy psych and put their own spin on it. I really can't recommend this enough. Now come to America so I can see it all live.
Reviewed by Andy "Dinger" Beresky (StonerRock.com)


Ahkmed - Chicxulub (2007)



3 comments:

The Doc said...

If you like Ahkmed, you should check out some other Melbourne Stoner Rock bands including My Left Boot, Ancient Man, Hotel Wrecking City Traders and Tommy & The Tanks. I know them all personally and they would love the exposure. Cheers!!!

PETER-ONEINCHMAN said...

You are so right my friend.
I had the same feeling when i listen them for the first time.Great Band.
The same goes Doc with Hotel Wrecking City Traders.Riez check them out.Unbelievable how two guys (guitar & drums)can create this solid wall of sounds

Unknown said...

I love this band! (and the same goes for hotel wrecking city traders)